Sunday, November 13, 2011

documentation

Okay so I finally got around to uploading documentation of some of the work I have been doing this semester.



 These two paintings are some of the first ones that I finished so far. They're pretty small, about 4" x 6", gouache and acrylic on wood.

cellular mobile 1
cellular mobile 2



This is a mixed media piece. It was a difficult piece for me but I received a really great critique from my discussion group on it. It really makes me question what I'm doing and saying which is something that should happen with every piece that one makes.

deep spaced



These are photos of a piece I had in the Mason Gross Annual this year. The piece is titled Drawing Practice II and it's 22" x 30", colored pencil on paper. As the title indicates, it is the second piece I've done in this style. The first one I made while studying in France. I really enjoy this way of working and I think it is informed from my first experiences with the work of Tom Friedman when I was in high school.



This is a new sculpture that I installed at LAB about two weeks ago. It did not last very long and at this point I've decided to rework the piece with some different materials. I will be documenting it when I have my critique with Catherine Murphy.

just for sport


This is the first of a serious of identical pieces. Essentially it is a maquette for a piece that I envision being fabricated in a mirrored acrylic plastic. This piece embodies what I am dealing with and thinking about doing for my thesis. At this point I feel that I have begun to branch out from this piece but it is still something that i am considering pursuing in one form or another.

metameaning



 These are photos of a sculpture that I had in the Mason Gross Annual this year. I am very pleased with this piece although I believe I was taking a risk with the use of the American flag balloon in the sense that it could be interpreted in a very direct way. The balloon was a later addition to the piece and essentially I was looking for something gaudy that would react to the simple beauty of the rest of the piece. This piece does not use any nails or glue and is held in place by gravity. I came upon this idea sitting in my studio at LAB. I had a couple pieces of scrap wood laying around and I stacked the first two pieces, was intrigued by it and then added the top horizontal piece. I've been really interested in this process of stacking and balancing things. I think it is a result of internal temptation and my own desire to see just how far I can physically push a material to the brink of collapse. It leaves one with a deep feeling of tension and longing for release.

oh, it's alright over




No comments:

Post a Comment