Saturday, November 5, 2011

been away

I've been crazy busy lately and haven't had much time to actually sit down and write about what has been going on. Thesis has been going well and I am just excited to be in the studio and working although it never feels like I spend enough time here. The last actual thesis class was a couple weeks ago when Group A was doing critiques. I had already shown two of the three pieces to a different discussion group that I am a part of and I got some really amazing feedback from them. However, when I showed the pieces in Thesis crit no one except Catherine Murphy had anything to say about them. It was a little annoying to be sitting there quietly with nobody saying anything, especially when I am one of the main contributors to everyone else's critiques. At least, I had already gotten good feedback on the work before Thesis.

We spent the next session "speed curating" the show which was an exercise in futility. I do not see the point in "curating" when Gerry tries to push all of the submitted work into the show anyway. The gallery that my team curated turned out great because we would not except additional pieces for the room and we made sure all of the work had enough space to breathe. Overall I have never been satisfied with the BFA shows. There are always a few good pieces that address the theme and are executed well, but most of the work is shit. It seems like they pick a theme to guide people but end up hanging a lot of work that is completely contradictory to the theme or ignorant of it. Better luck next year right?

Yesterday we all went to Brooklyn which, once again, was an exercise in futility. We spent close to 3 hours on the bus before my group finally got to the first studio. We talked with Allison for about 30 minutes and then got back on the bus, drove around for another hour and then went to the Bruce High Quality Foundation for 45 minutes. It was completely ridiculous and poorly planned. I would have much rather just spent the entire time at BHQ instead of being dragged around Brooklyn for several hours. Better luck next year.

My work has been coming along nicely and I have begun to explore new ways of working in both sculpture and painting. I see my new sculpture work addressing stronger ideas and concepts and the paintings feel more like explorations grounded in aesthetics and process.

I have been reading a couple of books that have really touched on concepts that interest me. One of them, "Why is that Art?" discusses formalism, structuralism, post-structuralism and aesthetic theory. Another book, "Lyric Postmodernisms" is a collection of writings from 30 postmodernist poets. They talk a lot about form and content and I really enjoy some of the poetry, especially the work of Mei-mei Berssenbrugge.




No comments:

Post a Comment